PointsGuru.UK review of the Virgin Atlantic Reward Mastercard.
In the UK, the British Airways Executive Club is probability the most popular airline loyalty program with its Avios points, followed by the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. This most probability due to BA route map, however Virgin Atlantic are increasing their routes and cover many popular destinations.
Virgin Atlantic have two credit cards that earn you Flying Club miles and benefits that you can redeem with Virgin Atlantic. The first is the free Virgin Atlantic Rewards Mastercard and the second is the fee Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Mastercard.
Please visit the Virgin Money website for more info and to apply. Virgin Money also have an eligibility checker to check the likelihood of acceptance without affecting your credit file.
Sign-up Bonus. Depending of the whether you opt for the free or fee card, the card comes with a sign-up bonus when you use the card for the first time in the first 90 days of opening your account.
- Free Reward Card: 5,000 bonus miles.
- Fee based Reward+ Card: 15,000 bonus miles.
Earning Rates. Both cards have excellent earn rates and as you can imagine, these are batter for the fee based Reward+ card.
- Free Reward Card: 0.75 Flying Club Mile for every £1 of everyday spend and 1.5 miles for every £1 spent at Virgin Atlantic or Virgin Holidays.
- Fee Reward+ Card: 1.5 Flying Club Mile for every £1 of everyday spend and 3.0 miles for every £1 spent at Virgin Atlantic or Virgin Holidays.
Additional Perks. Depending on your yearly spend, upgrade or companion vouchers are available, however the reward level differs depending on the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club tier level that is held.
- Free Reward Card: Upgrade to Premium or companion ticket when you spend £20,000 in a year (terms apply).
- Fee Reward+ Card: Upgrade to Premium or companion ticket when you spend £10,000 in a year (terms apply).
Other perks include 0% interest on balance transfers for the first six months, but do note there is a 3% fee for transferring this balance. Card holders also have access to the Virgin Money lounges.
- Virgin Atlantic Reward Card: Free
- Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Card: £160 per year.
This card has a representative APR of 22.9% variable, and a purchase rate of 22.9% variable with an assumed credit limit of £1,200.
Other info: This card maybe of interest to members of the Virgin Flying Club as an additional source of miles or to Amex holders who need a card that is accepted where Amex are not.
Whether you opt for the free or fee based card is based on your spending habits, however you should not ‘fabricate’ spend in order to gain miles and you should also payoff you card monthly in order to maximise the value of your points.
I have recently signed up for the Rewards+ card and have started a monthly blog of its running benefits.
Depending on your Frequent Flyer program of choice, the Amex BA card may be a better fit.