PointsGuru.UK review of the British Airways American Express Credit Card.
In the UK, the British Airways Executive Club is probability the most popular airline loyalty program with its Avios points. The British Airways American Express® Credit Card is the card linked to this frequent flyer program.
British Airways American Express® have two credit cards that earn you Avios and benefits that you can redeem with British Airways and its partners. The first is the free British Airways American Express® Credit Card and the second is the fee British Airways American Express® Premium Plus Card.
Please visit the Amex website for more info and to apply. American Express also have an eligibility checker to check the likelihood of acceptance without affecting your credit file.
Sign-up Bonus. Depending of the whether you opt for the free or fee card, the card comes with a sign-up bonus when you use reach the defined spend in the first 3 months of card membership..
- Free BA Amex Card: 5,000 bonus miles when you spend £1,000 in the first 3 months of card membership.
- Fee BA Amex Premium Plus Card : 25,000 bonus miles when you spend £3,000 in the first 3 months of card membership.
Earning Rates. Both cards have excellent earn rates and as you can imagine, these are batter for the fee based Reward+ card.
- Free BA Amex Card: Collect 1 Avios for virtually every £1 spent
- Fee BA Amex Premium Plus Card: Collect 1.5 Avios for virtually every £1 spent and 3 Avios for every £1 spent with British Airways or BA Holidays.
Additional Perks. Depending on your yearly spend, companion vouchers are available.
- Free BA Amex Card: Get 2-for-1 travel with a Companion Voucher when you spend £20,000 each year (terms apply).
- Fee BA Amex Premium Plus Card: Get 2-for-1 travel with a Companion Voucher when you spend £10,000 each year (terms apply).
Refer friends and earn 9,000 bonus Avios if they are approved – up to 90,000 Avios a year. American Express travel insurance, global assist, refund and purchase protection is available. See Amex website for full info and conditions.
- BA Amex Credit Card: Free
- BA Amex Premium Plus Credit Card: £195 per year.
This BA Amex card has a representative APR of 22.9% (76.0% on Premium Plus Card) variable, and a purchase rate of 22.9% variable with an assumed credit limit of £1,200.
Other info: This card maybe of interest to members of the British Airways Executive Club as an additional source of Avios.
Whether you opt for the free or fee based card is based on your spending habits, however you should not ‘fabricate’ spend in order to gain miles and you should also payoff you card monthly in order to maximise the value of your points.
Depending on your Frequent Flyer program of choice, the Virgin Atlantic Reward Card may be a better fit.